Friday, December 18, 2015

#AdventWord #Prepare


Last night, I started preparing my dinner with a little olive oil and onion in my cast iron skillet.

I wasn't certain what was coming next. Eventually, I added other things and had a meal.

I'm not a foodie, and I don't use recipes and I eat mostly to live, not the other way around.

But I do like to prepare my own meals, though. I don't do it as often as I wish I did, but I prefer doing it myself. I just don't always know what I'm going to end up with until it's all over.

ALERT! TORTURED ANALOGY AHEAD!

Preparation is a big theme for advent. John at the river is a big figure in this season, shouting "Prepare the way of the Lord!"

Practically no one was prepared for the Lord that showed up. A lot of people were watching for the Messiah, but they didn't recognize the one that showed up.

They all started with basic things---The Torah, the Prophets. But they kept adding their own expectations until what they got was unrecognizable to them.

My meals are way more predictable than Jesus turned out to be.

I think this is worth remember as we think we're preparing: We are not prepared for the Reign of God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment