Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Love and Hate

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you/"

Who is my enemy? How do I hate them? How do I choose love?

What is the fast I should choose?

Pastor Wayne G Gillespie (ELCA) posted on Facebook today: "As you're thinking about what you are going to "give up" during Lent, reflect upon the words of the God who says, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'"  

Honestly, Ash Wednesday has only 120 minutes left and I have not decided on a fast. I may still, and when I do, I won't post about it. That goes against the instruction of Ash Wednesday's Gospel lesson about fasting in a public way, that is: don't. 

But lent, being a penitential season, a season for reflecting on the things that separate us from holiness, a season, as my priest said tonight, that we observe in full knowledge of Easter, I hope to publicly reflect on love, the goal of the Christian life. 

:Love and enemies. Sacrifice and mercy.

So begins this year's journey through the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment