Sunday, May 8, 2016

Easter 43 Forever

On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven 
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end. [The Nicene Creed]

Christian teaching tells us that the Reign of God, which has already started among us but is still to come, is forever and as Prince told us, "that's a mighty long time." 

It's hard to comprehend and our temporal understanding. As I am solidly in middle age and maybe even slipping into old age (I'm pretty much guaranteed not to doubt my current age, so what's "middle" about it?), I know nothing lasts forever. I know people die, relationships end, material possessions get lost or destroyed or even thrown away. 

Still, there is reason to believe it. Some athletes talk about "flow," when they are running, skiing, or swimming and time bends. It stands still and at the same time opens up to something moving in all directions. I've experienced it when performing or writing. In Greek terms, the word is "kairos," the right time, the perfect time, the fulfilled time. 

That's a little bit how I understand (as best as I can understand) forever. 

We look forward to it even as forever is now, reaching in all directions.

Christ is always rising, always coming again, always reigning in kairos, even as every last old thing is passing away. Alleluia. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment