Sunday, November 29, 2015

#AdventWord #WakeUp


I have issues with waking up. Probably more accurately, I have issues with going to sleep. As I like to say, I have no trouble falling asleep, I have trouble going to bed. But back tot he beginning, this translates into having issues waking up.

I looked at the mug I'm using this morning for my morning tea. It was given to me while I was in seminary, very much the sort of thing seminarians get. It has the familiar verse from Psalm 118, "This is the day which the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

I'm reminded of the verse heard at Matins (quoted from memory, so maybe not precise): Open my lips oh Lord and my mouth shall declare your praise. 

All of which to remind me that because I do not wake up well or easily, I do not rejoice or proclaim God's praise easily. Not first thing in the morning.

"The days are surely coming." The prophet Jeremiah was fond of telling us this, with words of promise and warning. "The Reign of God is near." Jesus was fond of telling us this, also with words of promise and warning.

The season of Advent begins to day, and all these thoughts are jumbled up in the prompt #WakeUp. I will go to church and hear from Jeremiah and Jesus. This afternoon, I will go to a funeral. This morning my mug tells me to rejoice (with the tea to aid in waking me up!).

Warning and promise. Rejoicing and proclamation. Waking up to it all.

Let us begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment