Thursday, December 24, 2020

Creator/Created/Create

 I write stories and make performances and sometimes interpret others' stories into performances. I find it one way the Imago Dei is alive in me. 

I'm typing this at 1:00am on Christmas Day (the First Day of Christmas) 2020. It's been a mess of a year and I, like many creatives around me, have felt paralyzed by this year. Not everyone. Some have found it a rich time of creation and I haven't been completely idle. But I have felt . . . paralyzed. 

As I reflect, once again, on the Christmas story, I'm reminded of how we teach and sometimes believe that God took on flesh like ours, a sack of blood and bones that experiences pain and ecstasy, experiences death and decay after some period of growth of life. 

In this bit of life I've been given, I've tried (and succeeded and failed) to take ideas and give them some manner of flesh, whether the flesh of words on paper or the flesh of my own flesh on stage/display. It's been hit and miss. I've loved it all Well, most.

I wonder if God the Creator loves all or just most. We teach and sometimes believe God loves all. I can't help but think that there are moments when God has been a little disappointed in me and my output, as I am sometimes disappointed by my creations. Maybe I'm projecting. Maybe God loves better than I do. I hope God loves better than I do. 

Tonight, we tell the story that the Creator became Created. Maybe we as Imago Dei have some capacity to create---love, abundance (not the kind associated with money), a beloved community.

No comments:

Post a Comment